About ULAKNET (Network Technologies Department)
Turkish National Research and Education Network (ULAKNET), which is operated by Network Technologies Department of ULAKBIM (Turkish Academic Network and Information Center) provides network services always one step ahead of the expectations of its users, made up of 111.000 lecturers and research assistants, and more than 2.500.000 higher education students. As well as operating the national research network infrastructure, ULAKBIM also coordinates nation-wide grid activities and operates national grid-based high performance computing (TR-Grid-HPC) e-infrastructure. By recognising the significance of research networking, Network Technologies Department also provides R&D networking platform for innovative demand from the researching elements of national innovation system. ULAKNET has been trying to provide a solid background for a continuous, country-wide, competitive, overall development of the IT sector in Turkey since the foundation of ULAKBIM. The non-profit structure of ULAKBIM applies a well defined AUP (Acceptable Use Policy), and also the coverage of the user community is strictly restricted by clear rules stemming from the research networking behaviour.
Fields of Activity
- Undertaking the establishment and operation of research and education network infrastructure in Turkey (ULAKNET). ULAKNET provides Internet and network connections of universities, military and police academies, libraries, research and development organizations and some governmental organizations.
- The regular operation of ULAKNET, the continuity of services provided over ULAKNET and opening up of new services, network planning and network security studies are carried out.
- To take into consideration the security needs of the ULAKNET backbone and its end nodes, a Computer Emergency Response Team (Ulak-CSIRT), forming a cooperation among ULAKNET’s users to defend against and respond to cyber attacks.
- Wide spreading IPv6 applications over the ULAKNET backbone and to establish its connectivity with the rest of the IPv6 backbone in the world.
- Leading and coordinating the activities of national research communities in high performance computing towards a Turkish Grid, representing the TR-Grid National Initiative in regional and global grid projects, deploying the Turkish National Grid e-infrastructure.
- eduroam which stands for Education Roaming, is a RADIUS-based infrastructure that uses 802.1X security technology to allow for inter-institutional roaming.
- To carry out information gathering and sorting studies that will contribute to the information production of universities and research institutes, and cataloging and organization of this information, to develop software using only the open source codes in order to realize the information and documentation delivery services provided by Cahit Arf Information Center in the electronic medium.
- Participation national and global network infrastructure and grid projects